Can you modify child support orders?

On Behalf of | Jan 9, 2022 | Child Support |

Are your child support payments taking a toll on your finances? Are you finding it hard to pay up? Then you may need to act and have them modified. That way, you will be able to meet your obligations fully, without too much strain. 

Perhaps you lost your job and find it hard to secure employment, or maybe business is not doing well, unlike before. Child support obligations, decided when things were better, might be too high to sustain. Since such orders are legally binding and enforceable, you need to go through the courts to revise the terms according to your current reality.

You can request a modification

Are your changes temporary or permanent? Are they voluntary or involuntary? All these will weigh in on your case when reviewing existing child support orders. In most instances, voluntary actions cannot warrant a modification. Similarly, temporary changes may also not meet the threshold. For example, if you lose your job, it is considered a temporary situation unless underlying factors make it hard or impossible to secure employment.

Proper documentation will go a long way in convincing the judge that modifications are necessary. Providing financial records or witness testimonies may be an excellent place to start.

Child support should be reasonable

Paying child support is not meant to lower your quality of life, and if it is the case, you need to take corrective action. Life is unpredictable, and a lot can happen, which may require a revision of current support orders. Staying prepared with the correct knowledge on the actions to take is in your best interests, just in case you find yourself in such a situation.