How do I get my life back after a criminal charge?

On Behalf of | Oct 13, 2022 | Criminal Defense |

Finding your way back to life as usual after a criminal charge, whether you’re found guilty or not, can be challenging. Here are some tips on how you can move on.

Resolve the past and look to the future

This may be easier said than done, but you won’t be able to find a sense of peace and normalcy until you can resolve past hardships.

If you were guilty of a crime, the remorse for those you wronged and the impact your legal trouble had on your family will be difficult to shake.

If you were innocent, the bitterness of having been put through a legal wringer for no reason will linger.

Find a way to resolve these feelings. You can seek counseling or even group therapy. When you find something that brings you relief, stick with it even after you think you have recovered. Recovery and ongoing maintenance will keep you on a positive track.

Find a way to adjust to your new reality

If you were found guilty of a crime, the consequences will be around for years – possibly for the rest of your life. You can’t change the past, but you can change your view of the world and adjust to any new limitations brought on by your conviction.

One thing is for sure; you are not alone. If you are struggling to adjust to your new life, there is probably a group, in person or online, that you can join where people in similar circumstances share their experiences and advice about adapting to their new lives. There are numerous online resources that help felons restart their lives.

Clean house

If your crime was related to the people you associated with or the activities you were involved in, it might be time to remove these bad influences from your life. This may even involve moving far away, but sometimes new surroundings can be the key ingredient to a fresh start.

An attorney may be able to help

If you were convicted of a crime, an experienced attorney might be able to help you find a path to recovery. Depending on your situation, you may have an opportunity to expunge your criminal record.

If you won your case, you might be able to find vindication by filing a complaint about your rights being violated.

If you have any questions about reclaiming your life through the legal system, consult a lawyer for advice.